Hola
We are enjoying being in a larger hotel here in Chiclayo at the Gran Hotel. There is a nice pool and good restaurant. We have now seen more tourists here than we have seen since we started the tour. We only saw a total of 6 tourists in Northern Peru in all of the places we have been to, and 5 of those were in Tarapoto (backpacker types). There is a tour bus of French speaking people staying here and David mentioned there are 3 Japanese-Canadians here too. Our tour is definitely 'off the beaten track'.
The water project that we stopped at yesterday is being built by a Brazilian company, and they have built a 40 km tunnel where the water will flow from the eastern side of the Andes to the western side of the Andes and they will generate hydroelectric power from the dam. As I understand it, they are nearing completion of the project.
I wasn't up to the day trip to Chaparri Lodge (they got up at 4.30 a.m, - yes a.m. not p.m. - in order to have breakfast at 5 and leave by 5.30 this morning) as I still am under the weather. David also passed on the day trip. They should be back fairly soon from Chaparri and then we will get ready to celebrate Superbowl - the waiter in the bar/restaurant assured me they could put the game on when it starts. We'll see if that actually happens.
I was able to phone my mom last night which was marvelous. It is very, very reasonably priced to call Canada from Peru. I hope to call again this afternoon and will attempt to call Thomas also (Pete is at work at the Sportsman show today).
The food at the hotel is very good and we had buffet for breakfast and lunch today. The spanish speaking countries sure make a lovely selection of desserts, so I was in my element at lunchtime.
Lynn
No comments:
Post a Comment